Sunday 23 October 2011

The Recording Experience

A whole new experience for everyone:
Thanks to our very generous sponsors: 
Peermont, through their PSSP - Peermont School Support Programme.

Keketso: "I am definitely enjoying my experience here. Going to the studio has become part of our daily routine and we have found ways to make it fun when we are not working. We sing songs, dance and sit and chat. We have met so many people here, I don't even remember half their names! Overall, I am happy and am enjoying the Indian hospitality."
Sam: "I have realised that you have to be rehearsed and well-prepared before you go into the studio, else you waste too much time making mistakes. You must be 'ever-ready'. I have also learnt that you have to be patient,  and relaxed in order to perfect things. Mutual respect is all-important."


Recording guide tracks with all the musicians
                     Practice makes perfect!

We are filmed from time to time for the documentary which is being made about the project. Here Sappy, the camera man, joins us at practice.









Robin has "been there, done that, and got the T-shirt" - we are hoping to have similar T-shirts soon!!



Zinhle: "Being at the studio is great. We are getting used to the 'celebrity life' - something I am not used to, but which I am loving! I don't think anyone really wants to go home!"

Katleho: "My trip to India has been amazing!I am experiencing the good life. We have been to see beautiful places and the events we have attended have made me realise that this is really happening to me! The studio work has been good; I have been challenged out of my comfort zone but I am proud of what I have managed to do. I am NOT ready to go home yet!"



Sean: "Being in India is a wonderful experience. It has been great being in a professional studio and I have learnt a lot more about music and have also got a few tips too on how to improve my own performance."
Thabiso: "Wow. India
Namaste. I never thought that one day I would be recording an album in the exotic sub-continent of India, but boy is it an experience. It was all so confusing in the beginning… the traffic, the heat, the disconcerting looks from the citizens, but now India is my home away from home. This whole experience has changed my perception about life in general and I am more tolerant of people. These past three weeks felt like years, and thus far, I haven't even heard any of my brothers and sisters utter a single comment about returning to our South Africa; corroborating evidence that we really are having the time of our lives. The recording process has been most spectacular and the people at Studio Groove are so friendly, helpful and ebullient. We've worked so hard and practised even harder, but it’s worth it. I am amazed at how much work we've done at the studio… notwithstanding the hard work, we've had many fun moments at the studio. I love playing the piano and singing songs with a few people during our intermissions. Our first proper performance was at the Taj Palace hotel and it was awesome.
India is such a beautiful place, alive with diversity and magic. We've also had many assorted gastronomical delights, some unbelievably palatable, and some, uhm… unusual if I may say. We are always motivated to work hard at every endeavour because and that is inspiring. Yes, there have been some days when we just didn't want to do anything, but, the reminders of why we are here are far stronger. All in all, this trip to India has been ‘inexpressible’ and I hope to come back again."

Koketso: " O my word! I am a celebrity! Every day at the studio, there is someone taking pictures or interviewing us. I am loving the spotlight of  our three performances - Fashion Week, India Pride Awards, and our own concert on the 28th.
I thank God for allowing this to happen to me. I couldn't have wished for a better experience!"

Lesego: " My trip to India has been spectacular. It has been a blessing from God and has made me realise my spiritual needs and what God has really blessed me with. The fact that we visited one of the 7 Wonders of the World, and have seen poverty as well, has changed me completely.
The recording has been fun and exciting. It takes a dedicated and hardworking person to deliver the same piece of music 7 or 8 times with the same passion as the first time.
The trip has been one of the best things ever to happen to me. I have met so many people, eaten different cuisine, and seen reality. I have loved every moment."

Ram (on the floor - a sound engineer) and Sohini (The CEO of Studio Groove)watch the "goings on". 
Ram knows most of the lyrics to the Zulu songs!
Rupak, the sound engineer, and Robin, doing their thing

Sonia Minocha, the director of the documentary and our friend, encourages and makes sure all is well.






And...a most important lady, Mona (Monica Singh), organizing to get our dinners delivered in good time!
She also ensures that we have transport - often risking her own sanity!

2 comments:

  1. Greetings to all of you. It is wonderful to get your feedback and insights. I am getting so excited to see and hear the finished product and look forward to hearing about your trip and experiences - I am wondering how you are going to share your experience with your friends and peers at your own schools, and am interested in your own ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. finally i'm writing on this, was thinking for a long time to check this out. I must say good job Monica, its quite a task to incorporate each and every thought and your experience in words but indeed a great job there. My fourth day of shoot was wonderful, finally i can feel the music and its settings, the concert by god's grace is going to be amazing. i am yet to hear the final thing, with Robin's music, Mrs Guha Voice and the choir together, but i am sure the amount of hard work you guys have put into this its not gonna go waste, its gonna reach to the next level of success. loving every bit with you all and most importantly i am getting a lot to learn with this. I am excited to see the entire footage i have shot so far, then edit it and come out with something which really sings a story of Gondwana Dawn. Its going to be the closest of my heart among the films i made. :) Thanks everyone, good luck.

    ReplyDelete